Wednesday, March 17, 2010

holidays, kind of

Ladies, your chief motivator for week two of Walk Kansas has had a cold since Sunday and has not been especially productive. I am eating plenty of fruits and veggies, and I did see an interesting TV show you might want to check out.

"The Truth About Food" on FitTV goes through a lot of experiments on food's effects on the body. In the latest episode, nine volunteers ate a half-ton of fruits, vegetables (and some seeds) over a 10-day period. Sort of like a return to the ancestral diet.

So eating 10 pounds of fruit a day each led to some drastic effects on health in terms of lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. Also had some other side effects you can imagine that you might not want to hear about, but ... while eating 10 pounds of fruits and veggies sounds unpalatable to me, it did make me think about the effect of putting out all your 5-9 servings of produce on display (as they did in the show) as a visual reminder of what all you're trying to eat each day.

I think if I did that, two things would happen: 1) To be able to set it all out each morning, I'd have to plan ahead and have all the produce purchased, cleaned and ready ahead of time, which is usually where I fall short (running out of something and not getting a chance to return to the store for more), and 2) Focusing more on what I need to eat through the day and filling in the blanks with the rest rather than spending time thinking about what I SHOULDN'T eat. I hope that makes sense; I'm kind of tired.

What are you doing to hit your fruit/veggie levels every day?

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all. I foresee a 20-minute walk and early to bed again. Hope your plans are more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment